Ah, come to think of it I've got another Linux Mint system down here in
a corner which I set up as far as I can tell identically but it doesn't
have Shorewall configured or started as I don't have the requisite NICs
and only have one network.

It reports:
Philip-Desktop ~ # apt-cache policy shorewall
shorewall:
  Installed: 5.0.4-1
  Candidate: 5.0.4-1
  Version table:
 *** 5.0.4-1 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I'm having difficulty working out what init system it uses and the
release notes don't seem to say. (I was brought up on SystemV inittab -
I've got the white hair - I just need the walking frame.) Running ps
reports process 1 as /sbin/init splash. There's no /etc/inittab but
/etc/init is a directory containing loads of .conf files including
several upstart-*.conf, smbd.conf and ssh.conf but no shorewall.conf,
possibly because I haven't started it.

Regards - Philip