OK, thanks, so on this near-clone system, systemd is installed and
systemctl shows  shorewall as disabled. When next I can get to the live
system (probably next week) I'll repeat it there, and it sounds like it
should then start on boot.

But does that explain why the desktop crashed when I enabled
start-on-boot through shorewall.conf and /etc/defaults/shorewall? Does
the desktop need an ACCEPT $fw $fw rule to talk to its (local) display
server, or is the route from a zone to itself always implicitly allowed?

Regards - Philip