On 07/25/2017 11:52 AM, Philip Le Riche wrote:
> OK, so I'm still bashing my head against a brick wall with this, and so
> far the brick wall is holding out better than my head. With school hols
> started I now have much greater access to the system.
>
> The problem is severe in the following situation: running VNC client on
> a school PC controlling a Pi on the other side of the firewall.  The Pi
> runs a face follower program which continuously displays image captures
> from the camera, causing continual screen refreshes to be sent to the
> VNC client. The firewall NIC on the school network side repeatedly goes
> DOWN for around 30 secs at a time. ip -s link ls shows it's getting
> large numbers of dropped packets. In this situation, control of the
> session from the VNC client is almost impossible.
>
> Yesterday I tried 2 things, with interesting results:
> 1. I completely rebuilt the system from scratch, installing Shorewall 5
> instead of Shorewall 4, and with kernel 4.8.0-53. The problem remains.
> 2. I dug out an old hard disk with a version of the system I built last
> Summer (if not before) and kernel 4.4.0-34. All other hardware was
> unchanged. The problem disappeared!
>
> This seems to indicate software, not hardware. No clues that I can spot
> in /var/log/messages.
>
> Comparing the outputs of sysctl -a on the 2 systems shows various
> parameters changed, but nearly all increased. (My best guess had been
> that a kernel buffer needed to be larger.) See
> blueskylark.org/stuff/sysctl-diffs.txt for an sdiff - old system on the
> left, new on the right.
>
> /etc/shorewall/interfaces is identical between systems (except for
> commented lines) and the only differences in shorewall.conf are in
> logging and verbosity.
>
> Any suggestions?

Not really. I know of nothing in a Shorewall configuration that could
produce these symptoms. One thing I noticed in the diff you posted was
that the 'new' output showed nothing from net.netfilter, but I don't
know if that is significant.

Tom Eastep        \   Q: What do you get when you cross a mobster with
Shoreline,         \     an international standard?
Washington, USA     \ A: Someone who makes you an offer you can't
http://shorewall.org \   understand