On 21/09/17 01:50, Vieri Di Paola via Shorewall-users wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My system has these values by default:
>
> # sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_available_congestion_control
> net.ipv4.tcp_available_congestion_control = cubic reno htcp bbr cdg
> # sysctl net.core.default_qdisc
> net.core.default_qdisc = pfifo_fast
> # sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control
> net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control = cubic
>
> Some suggest to switch to either bbr or cdg.
>
> Would the following settings make any difference performance-wise on a
> shorewall router?
> # sysctl net.core.default_qdisc=fq
> # sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=bbr
>
> Should shorewall traffic shaping be configured and enabled with
> TC_ENABLED=Simple and at least one interface in shorewall-tcinterfaces?
>
> Or does the bbr tcp congestion control have nothing to do with traffic
> shaping per se?

BBR TCP congestion control and traffic shaping are largely orthogonal,
although, you could likely limit BBR's effectiveness by doing traffic
shaping badly.  (Although you can limit the effectiveness of other
congestion control algorithms by doing traffic shaping badly, too.)  BBR
is supposed to make better use of your bandwidth by actually testing
what it can send and keeping the rate close to that.

At work, we've deployed it on selected servers (although, not in
conjunction with Shorewall traffic shaping) and found it effective; I've
heard of others who say it makes things worse, or does nothing at all.

There is no point deploying BBR on routers; it is the TCP endpoint where
BBR needs to be enabled; the end sending the most data will benefit the
most.

Paul