I recently installed debian stretch on my router/firewall (fresh
install including reformat).
In jessie I simply had to set startup=1 in /etc/default/shorewall to
have shorewall start my firewall at boot.
In stretch setting startup=1 was not enough.
I also had to manually enable shorewall init script with systemctl
enable shorewall.
I even had to replace allow-hotplug with auto on all nics in
/etc/network/interfaces to have shorewall startup at boot.
All is working as expected now but I did not find any of these
requirements documented either in shorewall docs or in debian specific
changes/docs.

I'm a very happy shorewall and debian user.
Thanks for packaging the best firewall on the best linux distro :)