On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 06:29:28PM +0200, David Ventura wrote:
> I would like to redirect (LAN) DNS requests to a different LAN server
> (essentially forcing a failover for DHCP clients during the main DNS
> maintenance)
>
> How can I achieve this?

Something like

#ACTION         SOURCE                  DEST     PROTO   DEST    SOURCE
 ORIGINAL
#                                                        PORT    PORT(S)
 DEST
DNAT            lan         dns:192.168.20.117     -       -       -
 192.168.20.116

I think you'd need to be sure that *all* dns queries go via the router, in both
directions, which means "lan" hosts need to be on a different subnet than the
DNS.

If they're not, maybe you can change the subnet mask to /32 before the
maintenance (by "before" I mean more than max DHCP lease interval before).

Alternately, you could migrate DNS services to a new "high availability" IP
(say, 192.168.20.53), which is assigned as a 2nd/virtual/alias IP (eth1:dns) on
the existing interface.  You'd update dhcpd.conf (and wait DHCP lease interval)
for dynamic hosts, and resolv.conf for static servers.  Before the maintenance,
you'd ifdown eth1:dns on the active server and ifup eth1:dns on the standby
server.  pacemaker is the tool I've used which automates that process.

Justin