On 10/08/2018 05:53 AM, Vieri Di Paola via Shorewall-users wrote:
>  On Friday, October 5, 2018, 6:51:04 PM GMT+2, Tom Eastep
> <teas...@shorewall.net> wrote:
>

>>> Finally, a shorewall restart (full stop and start) actually DID solve the
>>> issue. I magically got my ppp3 link working again.
>>> So, of course, I'm worried that if there's a power outage or if someone
>>> reboots the modems then the gateway might get cut off from the Internet if
>>> shorewall doesn't restart.
>>
>> I can't comment without seeing the difference between the ruleset after
> '> reenable' and the ruleset after 'restart'.
>
> Here's the dump after "reenable ppp3" (no traffic through provider):
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=13MOhqHX7Im6uu8khr5DQTNuMypxQG8U3

It is remarkable that there was no traffic via ppp3, given that ppp3 was
the ONLY interface that should have been working.

> And here's the dump after "restart" (traffic OK through provider):
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GKOjtcEzc8H7JLI1V7hgPwMe3n6ECiXg

There are two significant differences between the two dumps:

- Given that you specify 'defaultroute' in your ppp configuraton, the
 following route appears in the 'main' table after you have brought ppp3
 back up:

    default via 192.168.144.1 dev ppp3 metric 4009

  'reenable' does not delete that route, but 'restart' and 'reload' do
  delete the route.

  This issue will be corrected by omitting 'defaultroute' from your
  ppp configuration.

- In the 'balance' table, we have this route after 'reenable':

    default dev ppp3

  After 'restart', we have:

    default nexthop dev ppp1 weight 1 nexthop dev ppp2 weight 1 nexthop
            dev ppp3 weight 1

  I'm not sure what to make of this:

    - 'reenable' is the same as 'disable' then 'enable'
    - After the 'disable', there was apparently no default route in
      the 'balance' table, but we don't know what was there before
      the 'disable'.

  At the next opportunity that you have to disrupt the firewall, it
  would be instructive to do the following:

      shorewall show routing > routing1
      shorewall disable ppp3
      shorewall show routing > routing2
      shorewall enable ppp3
      shorewall show routing > routing3

      If you don't feel that traffic is being sent via ppp3, then
          shorewall reload
          shorewall show routing > routing4

  Thanks!

>>> 3: enp6s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state
>>> UP group default qlen 1000
>>> I still don't know why some interfaces are set to use pfifo_fast, or if
>>> it's recommended or not for a gateway/router.
>>
>> Which has nothing to do with Shorewall...
>
> OK, I was just asking because the tbf qdisc is set by Shorewall when enabling
> traffic shaping. Also , /usr/share/shorewall/Shorewall/Tc.pm seems to deal
> with fq_codel, and there's documentation referencing fq_codel here:
>
> http://shorewall.net/manpages4/manpages/shorewall-tcclasses.html
> http://shorewall.org/traffic_shaping.htm
>
> Anyway, I'll study that later on if time permits.

What I really meant was that setting fq_codel as the default queuing
discipline has nothing to do with Shorewall, and I can't comment on
whether that is a good idea or not.

Tom Eastep        \   Q: What do you get when you cross a mobster with
Shoreline,         \     an international standard?
Washington, USA     \ A: Someone who makes you an offer you can't
http://shorewall.org \   understand