On 11/15/18 9:47 AM, Simon Matter wrote:
>> OK, I'm seeing a very odd behavior here, but at least I can now easily
>> reproduce the issue.
>>
>> I have a test host with IP address 192.168.215.200 pinging continously
>> the Shorewall FW at 192.168.215.1.
>> At first, I connect it to Switch Port with VLAN ID 11 Untagged (enp8s5
>> on the FW is connected to Switch Port VLAN 11 tagged + 12 tagged + 1
>> tagged). It gets the ICMP replies just fine, as expected according to
>> my Shorewall rules.
>>
>> I've captured dumps and traces while this was happening (I can see
>> traffic on VLAN 11, nothing on VLAN 12 which is OK):
>>
>> SW DUMP:
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_wLPvrowWGE4CPFYMQSzqxz0_FvZXm4q
>> SW TRACE:
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AXzSDhBTN62veUPYjzVxgddPEBdY1Amy
>>
>> I then disconnected the test host's ethernet cable from the Switch and
>> plugged it into another port on the same Switch but with VLAN ID 12
>> Untagged.
>> The test host keeps pinging FW at 192.168.215.1 successfully when it
>> SHOULDN'T because of my Shorewall rules and policies.
>> A tcpdump on the enp8s5_12 interface shows VLAN 12 traffic and ICMP
>> requests/replies.
>> A tcpdump on the enp8s5_11 interface shows that there's no more VLAN 11
>> traffic.
>>
>> I grabbed a SW dump, SW trace and a tcpdump:
>>
>> TCPDUMP on enp8s5_12:
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JVSOMNsXmPA1gKaVhYguZr0VmKzwSOER
>> TCPDUMP on enp8s5:
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pxyuMP6lynquB_BEks56HzjPqeWg-J6U
>> SW DUMP:
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1donyBraZpwKSyNG4w75LGkfPvlwgf3B9
>> SW TRACE:
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eFYjF9HPi144uzl2Y_oDZxtMCDq4fSog
>>
>> The test host is a Windows 10 laptop. Disconnecting its ethernet cable
>> and putting it back in did not change anything. However, I noticed
>> that if I put the laptop in sleep mode and woke it up again after AT
>> LEAST 30 seconds, traffic behavior would finally be "as expected", ie.
>> the test host would fail pinging the FW.
>
> I can't follow you here with all the details and dumps...
>
> It just sounds to me like it has something to do with ARP caches, on a
> switch, on a host, on a router?
>
> Or even more fun, host routes generated through ICMP redirect messages?

That's what I believe also.

Vieri - Do I understand correctly that after you physically reconfigure,
things settle down after some period of time and work properly (and stay
working properly)? If so, I don't believe that there is anything here to
worry about.

Tom Eastep        \   Q: What do you get when you cross a mobster with
Shoreline,         \     an international standard?
Washington, USA     \ A: Someone who makes you an offer you can't
http://shorewall.org \   understand