On Mi, 2016-08-31 at 20:20 +0200, timbu...@mailbox.org wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have two possibly related issues with shotwell:
>
> 1)
> - I moved my image library containing thousands of RAW+JPEG pairs to
> a different
> external hard drive.
> - Shotwell (mostly) correctly detected the old library in the new
> location and
> re-imported.
> - However, additionally I have now for each pair a *shotwell.jpg or
> *embedded.jpg file.
> - I tried deleting, but shotwell re-creates them.
> - This leaves me with
>       a) thousands of unwanted files
>       b) shotwell ?sometimes? displays the version which is shotwell-
> developed i.e. sth
> completely different from the camera-development. ! :-(
> i.e. I cannot display the picture, I have taken, with shotwell.
> - Settings > Raw-Developer is set to "camera"

That's unfortunate, and I think I've seen this myself here as well. Can
you file a ticket at bugzilla.gnome.org? Thank you.

> 2)
> - When I start shotwell, it runs for approx. one hour with 100% CPU
> - during this time shotwell is responding slowly / it is not usable

If you could attach to shotwell with gdb and get a backtrace during
that time, it might be a hint on what goes wrong, but as you say it's
producing camera developments, I suspect it's them.

> Even moving to a different software would be a major pain, as tags
> are not written
> to raw+jpg pairs ... of course I have loads of tags. ;-)

Yeah... There's a bug open about this as well IIRC.