Hallo Jens,

I did not get any answers to my message,
so I removed the old gexiv with synaptic
and set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/
That did the trick.
Make resulted in an enormous list of warnings,
including lots of references to /home/jens/....
but I was left with a working version of
  *shotwell 0.26.0 Aachen*
!

Gerrit