Do you plan to remove the list of tags, and have one entry per tag?
The problem for my app was given a photo id, find all the tag table
entries with this "thumb id" and then remove the thumb and write the
data back, rather than just finding all the records with the thumb and
deleting them.
I realize that not many people are going to want to process the data
outside of Shotwell, but having a good description of the various
tables and their relationships would be useful.
Many years ago I wrote a program to catalog photos (this was before I
heard about Shotwell. It used a database system with full-text search
abilities.
When I switched to Shotwell, I rewrote the program in Python, and added
a virtual table to the Shotwell database to make Boolean searching
easy. This I can use all the of the SQLITE3 full-text search
capabilities to find photos.
I do all my photo editing in Shotwell, but use my program to organize
them (adding titles, tags, etc). To delete photos, I used to just add a
tag 'deleteme' then went into Shotwell and deleted all the photos with
that tag. But then I decided to try to do the delete in my program, and
thus the question I posted. I THINK I have it all working now.