Don't background it. If you still want to see the log, tail it in a
different term. Look in /var/log (possibly syslog) for any error messages.
See if there is still a process for Shotwell running after a freeze. Pure
guess, if you haven't got enough memory it may be the OOM killer in action.

Cheers,

Cliff

My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt
My Facebook author page : https://www.facebook.com/cliffprattauthor