In order to rectify the problem of files being stored in 'no events',
and also being 'lumped together in 1970', I decided to remove all the
files - photos and vids from the library....... and then rebuild the
library importing and copying the files to a new directory.

This was a big mistake.

I now have 73 videos in the new 1970 folder (up from 59)
AND
No thumbnails at all.

I now have 91 photos, and 131 videos, in the new 'No event' folder (down
from 110 pics, and up from 109 videos)

The 1947 'Events' folder has thankfully gone.

All the files in the 1970 folder are video.avi files
It would appear that there is now less photo/video info available.....
only the name is displayed.

The fact that the file storage has worsened is less of a problem than
the loss of the thumbnails, as we can now no longer choose to play a
video on the basis of its contents.

Q 1. Is there any way to force shotwell to read the file creation date,
in order for it to build the correct directories and events?

Q 2. How can I get my thumbnails back?

Clearly I should never have tried to rebuild the library...... oh the
value of hindsight.

Mark