We have thought about this, although we've not gone into great detail about it on the wiki. XMP would be the right way to do this, as it allows for user extensions. It would be *best* if there was a standard way to save transformations, but one doesn't appear to exist yet and so it would probably be up to the various projects to come together and agree on a format.

Note that some users may want the metadata written to the original file and not a sidecar. Sidecars also introduce the problem of conflicting metadata -- when fields are present in both the original and the sidecar, which has priority? (Probably the sidecar, or the mtime of both files could be compared.)

I do think the bulk of transformations could be described in a near-universal way. Color transformations may be the most difficult, since the inputs are reliant on the algorithms, which may be different from application to application. But things like crop and straighten could be described in straightforward terms.

So, yes, this is something we've thought a lot about. If there was some momentum to begin something like a standardization process, I know we would definitely like to be a part of that conversation.

-- Jim