To answer your last question first, no, many video formats are supported and users are seeing thumbnails for those videos. When you say you only see an icon, do you mean when you're importing the video? Or after its imported? If they've been imported, can you look at their directory in Nautilus while in icon view? Do you see thumbnails then?
-- Jim