Hi Martino,

The F-Spot import doesn't try to be smart and just imports all the labels
it finds.

>From memory, the problem results from the way labels are specified in the
F-Spot database combined with the way F-Spot stores them in EXIF data: in
the database, they are stored in nested format while in EXIF they are
stored without nesting so the F-Spot specific code imports them with
correct nesting as they are in F-Spot, while the generic import code
imports the non-nested versions.

To fix this, the F-Spot import code would need to give the generic part of
the import a list of labels it should ignore. Not impossible to do but
would require some changes to the internal plugin API. As I'm no longer
active on Shotwell development (due to real world time constraints), I
won't be able to look into this but I'm happy to point anybody who is
willing to get their hands dirty into the right direction.

Cheers,

Bruno

On 16 October 2013 19:58, Martino Salvetti <the9...@silix.org> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> I'm a user coming from f-spot and I'm appreciating Shotwell very much.
> I imported the labels from the f-spot database (I was keeping the
> keywords also into JPG files). F-spot and shotwell have different view
> of nested labels: in f-spot the label keyword#2 (the nested label)
> doesn't imply keyword#1 (the parent label); Shotwell do it.
> After the import I have two versions of the nested labels: one of them
> is nested inside the tree of label and the other at the top layer. My
> photos have both versions.
> Is it this situation solvable?
>
> Thanks (and thanks againg for the great software)
> Martino

Bruno
Visit my weblog: http://brunogirin.blogspot.com