I think that an instant campaign, just as a call to help Shotwell
development could easily attract ~ $20 per user, depending on the
individual financial status.

A larger sum could be collected if some more ambitious goal was targeted -
e.g. some sort of multiple-machine syncing solution (I see these sort of
issues popping up very often on the mailing list), where actions on images
were to be synced when two machines running shotwell discover each other in
the same LAN. I would be willing to pay the price of some commercial
software such as Lightroom to see such an improvement in Shotwell. You
could even think about additionally offering this as a commercial service
on your servers to get recurring payments from people who don't want to
deal with syncing machines locally.