Precedence: bulk


Human Rights Watch
August 27, 1999,

MORE DEATH INEVITABLE IN East TIMOR UNLESS DONOR ACT
 
(New York)� More deaths in East Timor are inevitable unless immediate, 
collective pressure is brought to bear on the Indonesian government to stop 
its regular security forces from aiding proxy militias, Human Rights Watch 
said today, in the aftermath of four and possibly five deaths in Dili on 
Thursday.  
 
That pressure should involve direct calls from the leaders of Indonesia's key 
donors, including German Chancellor Schroeder, Japanese Prime Minister 
Obuchi, Australian Prime Minister Howard, and U.S. President Bill Clinton, to 
Indonesian President Habibie. The leaders should warn the Indonesian 
president in no uncertain terms that aid programs and loans�except for 
humanitarian assistance and support to civil society�will be suspended 
immediately and be resumed only when serious steps are taken to improve the 
security situation in East Timor. Those steps should include holding 
Indonesian security forces and militia leaders accountable for their 
complicity in the violence.

If that message is not delivered, Human Rights Watch said, not only East 
Timorese civilians but U.N. personnel and foreign journalists could be the 
next casualties. 

On Thursday, four deaths were confirmed and at least one other appeared 
likely in the aftermath of violence linked to a pro-autonomy rally. Two 
pro-autonomy youths were stabbed to death in the Becora area of Dili, while 
at least two and perhaps three pro-independence people died from gunshot 
wounds. Reports, as yet unconfirmed, suggest that two of the latter were shot 
not by pro-autonomy militias but by an Indonesian army soldier and policeman 
respectively. 

Virgilio da Silva and Apollinario Pinto da Silva, both from Viqueque and 
supporters of autonomy, were stabbed to death about 3:00 p.m. reportedly in a 
clash with pro-independence youths.  Anastacio Moniz died from his wounds at 
the headquarters of the UN Mission in East Timor after being shot nearby, 
reportedly by a soldier. A second youth, Baldinho (also seen as Bernadino) 
Gutteres, was reportedly shot by a Brimob (mobile police brigade) member in 
the Kuluhan area of Dili after shouting insults at the police for failing to 
stop violence by militia members. The militia was terrorizing the capital 
with guns, both homemade and automatic. 

The Jakarta-based newspaper Kompas also said a person named Metta Araujo was 
among the dead; other reports said a high school student with a similar name 
who may be the same person had been shot and perhaps killed in the Kuluhan 
clash. Several others were shot and wounded, including a Kompas journalist, 
when either the militias or the Indonesian security forces opened fire, and 
two members of the Dili-based Aitarak ("Thorn") militia were said to have 
been dragged from their car and remained missing as night fell in Dili. 

The violence came as pro-autonomy supporters, backed by armed militias, 
staged a parade and rally in Dili as part of the campaign for the referendum 
to be held next Monday, August 30. Clashes broke out at different parts along 
the parade route. Near the residence of Bishop Belo in the Licidere district, 
youths threw stones at pro-autonomy marchers who tried to take down a flag of 
the pro-independence organization, Concelho Nacionale de Resistencia 
Timorense (CNRT). Elsewhere, the marchers vandalized the house of an ethnic 
Chinese, Lai Nee Cho, then burned his car and kiosk, according to Indonesian 
journalists. A few minutes later, a minivan with more pro-autonomy marchers 
arrived, and they were stoned by angry bystanders. One of the marchers was 
stabbed, according to this report, possibly one of the two named above who 
died. 

The stabbing heightened tensions, and it was after this that militia forces 
armed with guns began firing, and attacked a hotel where foreign journalists 
was surrounded. 

Despite repeated calls by the international community and UNAMET on the 
Indonesian government and military to cease support for the pro-autonomy 
militias and punish perpetrators of violence, no serious steps in that 
direction have occurred. The Aitarak militia's leader, Eurico Gutteres, has 
called on his supporters to block all roads out of Dili on August 31, the day 
after the vote, suggesting that if anything, violence is likely to increase, 
not end, after the referendum has taken place. 

Several nongovernmental groups in and out of East Timor, as well as 
parliamentarians from Australia, Europe, and the United States, have called 
for U.N. peacekeepers to be sent to East Timor immediately. Under the terms 
of the May 5 agreement on the referendum, however, peacekeepers can only be 
deployed after Indonesia's highest legislative body has formally ratified the 
results of the referendum, and that is not likely to happen until November at 
the earliest and possibly even later. In the meantime, the U.N.Security 
Council is expected to approve on Friday an increase in the number of unarmed 
military liaison officers and civilian police, bringing the totals to 300 and 
460 respectively. 
 
For more information:

Sidney Jones (New York) (w) +1 212 216 1228

----------
SiaR WEBSITE: http://apchr.murdoch.edu.au/minihub/siarlist/maillist.html

Kirim email ke