Hi Tim,

(Apologies for the delayed response)

Sorry, but these changes do not resolve my concern. Specifically, I  think
implementors reading this draft will create inconsistent of mixed-OID chains.
Commenting specifically:

Section 4.2.1 was changed from saying that the new OID indicates that the
procedures in 4.2.4.4 are to be used to saying that the new OID “drives the
decision” in step 8 4.2.4.4. “Drives the decision” is vague without details
about how the how the rule in step 8 of 4.2.4.4 actually uses that information.
There has been no change in 4.2.4.4 to address this. Sections 4.2.2.5 and
4.2.2.6 still say that the new OIDs indicate the procedures in 4.2.4.4 are to
be used. The “rather than” clause has been removed, but I don’t think that
changes anything, and it’s still a reasonable (and likely) interpretation to
assume that certificates with the old OID will follow the old validation policy.

I don’t see how the new text in the abstract changes anything. (And if it did,
I would argue the abstract is the wrong place to say it.)

I think fixing this would require one of the following changes:

1) Disallow mixed-OID chains,  or…

2) The following changes to allow mixed-OID chains:
- Explicit text that implementations MAY/SHOULD use the new validation policy
even for certs in the chain that do not include the OID. (Perhaps only if the
root cert included it?)
- Change the description of the OID to say the OID is an input into the new
validation rules, not a discriminator about which rules to use. (Which, if I
understand correctly might remove the point of a new OID in the first place.
Maybe it only matters in the root cert?)
- Add text to 4.2.4.4 to explain exactly how the rules use the OID as an input.

Thanks,

Ben.