On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Oleksandr Voznyy wrote:

| Hi,
| till recently I though that checking the convergence of total energy vs k-grid
| cutoff is enough.
| However, now I've found that while total energy can be very well converged,
| Fermi level position is not, and requires at least twice denser k-grid (and ~4
| times more time).
|
| Here is my example for bulk GaAs:

Dear Alexander,

the problem you describe stems from the fact that k-space summation,
done by sampling, is not accurate enough. However, this is technically
no problem for systems with large enough band gap and/or molecules.
On the contrary, for metallic systems, or those where the Fermi level
crosses states in the gap, the convergency of results with k-points
in indeed disappointingly slow (as compared with codes using tetrahedron
integration).
The Fermi level is normally calculated by setting the cumulative occupation
number of all bands to the number of valence electrons. As I understand
the situation in Siesta, this cumulative occupation is obtained by integrating
the Fermi function smeared with ElectronicTemperature, and summed up
over k-points with their respective weights. That's why increasing
ElectronicTemperature usually suppresses the fluctuations and helps
the convergency, but somehow deteriorates the resulting energy values.

Considering your example, for pure GaAs (or any semiconductor)
you probably won't care much about the exact value of E-Fermi
because you get the valence and conduction bands right, and total
energy is stable. Etot is more stable
because it is "integral" property while the calculated E-Fermi
is "differential" one which shifts back and forth with every single
k-point added. Correspondingly, the DOS is a sum of smeared delta-peaks,
it also wildly changes with adding k-points, and converges extremely
slowly to the DOS found from other band structure code with tetrahedron
integration. In a metal system, metal Etot won't be so stable against
k-mesh as in semiconductor, and would normally require much much more
dense k-mesh.

It would be such a good investment to add a tetrahedron integration
in Siesta... And a not very difficult one...

Best regards,

Andrei Postnikov

+-- Dr. Andrei Postnikov ---- Tel. +33-387315873 ----- mobile +33-666784053 ---+
| Paul Verlaine University - Institute de Physique Electronique et Chimie,     |
| Laboratoire de Physique des Milieux Denses, 1 Bd Arago, F-57078 Metz, France |
+-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ------------ http://www.home.uni-osnabrueck.de/apostnik/
--+