The surface energy is the excess energy caused the creation of the surface
in a bulk. It depends on the total energy of slabs, and the energy of the
reference bulk phase. Maybe non-spin-polarized bulk has lower energy than
spin-polarized one, and the difference is larger than the difference between
non-spin-polarized and spin-polarized slabs.

Cheers,
Haibo

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 9:18 AM, John Appleton <[email protected]>wrote:

>   Dear users,
>
> I performed spin-polarized and non-spin-polarized calculations on a slab. I
> find the spin-polarized slab to have a lower energy than the
> non-spin-polarized slab. But the surface energy of the non-spin-polarized
> slab has a lower surface energy than the spin-polarized slab.
>
> I was expecting a consistency between the slab total energies and surface
> energies, that is, the slab with the lowest energy should have the lowest
> surface energy. I must mention the trend is the same irrespective of how the
> surface energy was computed (be it the usual way or the linear fit method).
>
> Is my reasoning not correct?
>
> Thanks
>

Responder a