Hello,

From my experience, the finite bias calculation in the open-boundary part is 
much slower (takes in general more than an order of magnitude than the 
zero-bias case for my systems). I am very curious to know what is the reason 
behind this.

I looked at the code (I am using trunk-433), and I thought about two 
possibilities. (1) when IsVolt=T, I have four more matrices than zero
bias to deal with in the code: DMRCplx, DMneqLCplx, DMneqRCplx, and EDMRCplx, 
provided that I have more than one k point. So I am wondering if this is one of 
the reasons for longer computing time; (2) I notice all the energy grids 
(equilibrium + non-equilibrium) used for contour integration are looped on an 
equal footing in every SCF cycle, but the non-equilibrium energy grids are on 
real axis with a very small imaginary part. Does the evaluation of quantities 
on real axis cause the long computing time? The Green's functions are 
calculated at the beginning of the run, and I don't see longer computing time 
there, so presumably the getSFE (self-energy calculation) is more expensive for 
an energy grid on the real axis than those in the upper half plane? If so, I 
would like to learn why is the case. I also noticed that in the 
m_ts_options.F90 file, there is a comment saying that "the voltage contour 
point is more "heavy" in computation". I
 searched the mailing list, and there are suggestions of using a slightly 
larger imaginary part for the non-equilibrium energy grids, but I should not 
use a too large value for the imaginary part, right?

Finally I have a technical question. I know 36 energy grid is the default for 
zero bias calculation. So if I have finite bias, and 10
bias contour energy grids, that would give me 36*2+10=82 energy grids. Should I 
use an optimum of 82 cores? But if the 10 bias contour grids take more time to 
compute than the 72 equilibrium energy grids, do I actually "waste" the 72 
cores when they are waiting for the
non-equilibrium energy grids to finish?

Thank you very much for your time and effort!


Zhenfei Liu

Responder a