Hi Nick,

Many thanks for your prompt response! I will follow your suggestions and have more tests. Cheers!

Jin




On 27/08/2015 10:20 PM, Nick Papior wrote:
Phonons does NOT work in parallel, you cannot use mpirun on it.

Phonon calculations simply do require huge amounts of memory, this is a current concern in the development of Inelastica, some initiatives have been taken to minimize memory usage.

Please update to the latest Inelastica version if you already haven't.
If this does not help you, then try and run the calculation in single precision (check the flags for phonons).




2015-08-27 14:41 GMT+02:00 Jingxian Yu <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>:

    Dear All,

    I have successfully generated all required *.TSHS files by
    dividing the large system into small fragments, plus required
    only-S files. When I attempt to calculate phonon-electron coupling
    using the following command line
    ____________________________________________________________
    Phonons -c --DeviceFirst=65 --DeviceLast=226 --FCfirst=81
    --FClast=210 --FCwildcard="./FCrun*" PHrun
    ____________________________________________________________

    our computer starts the calculation without any problem, but
    always terminates the job after 4-7 minutes no matter whether I
    run the calculation in a parallel or sequential mode. But the
    computer echoes different error messages. It shows "=>> PBS: job
    killed: mem 34582064kb exceeded limit 31457280kb" in the
    sequential mode, while it is "mpirun noticed that process rank 17
    with PID 25741 on node r2949 exited on signal 9 (Killed)" in the
    parallel mode.

    It is clear that a sequential calculation requires a greater
    memory size. I am not sure whether the same memory size issue
    results in the termination of a parallel job because the message
    echoed from a parallel is not informative to me.

    Could I have your comments and suggestions on this calculation?
    Your help will be sincerely appreciated. Cheers!

    Jin



    On 14/08/2015 6:11 PM, Nick Papior wrote:
    You shouldn't need to rename the files, nor delete files, try
    first and do the straightforward thing. Do them separately in
    their own directories:
    FCrun_11-11
    FCrun_12-12
     Then do
    Phonons --FCwildcard="./FCrun_*" ...

    This should work fine.

    2015-08-14 8:26 GMT+00:00 Jingxian Yu
    <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>:

        Dear All,

        I need to calculate force constants for a large system
        (containing more than 300 atoms). It would take more than
        1000 hours on a 16-core node. So I attempt to divide the
        large job into small pieces. My plan is to divide device
        atoms into 10 consecutive sections, and calculate the
        Hamiltonian (TSHS files) for each section. Then I will rename
        them, so they can link together.

        I had a test with the AuH2 example. Unfortunately, my idea
        was not successful.

        In brief, I set the following lines to calculate the
        Hamiltonian for the atom 11,
        MD.FCfirst   11
        MD.FClast    11

        then I set the following lines to calculate the Hamiltonian
        for the atom 12,
        MD.FCfirst   12
        MD.FClast    12

        After two jobs completed, I renamed "Chain 12   1.TSHS" to
        "Chain  11   7.TSHS", and so on. Also, I deleted the file
        "Chain  12 0.TSHS".

        Regarding overlap calculations, I followed the setting
        suggested on the tutorial.

        However I got the following message when I ran "Phonons -c
        --DeviceFirst=10 --DeviceLast=13 --FCfirst=11 --FClast=12 PHrun",
        ...
        Phonons.GetFileLists: WARNING - Inconsistent number of *.TSHS
        files in directory ./FCrun
        ...
        ValueError: could not broadcast input array from shape (0,3)
        into shape (22,3)
        ...

        Is my idea too naive? Your comments will be appreciated! Cheers!

        Jin












-- Kind regards Nick




--
Kind regards Nick

Responder a