Hi Francesco,

Crystal and Gaussian are all-electron codes with Gaussian basis sets while
Siesta is a pseudopotential code with numerical atomic orbitals as a basis
set so there is no clear one-to-one correspondence between the basis sets
you used there and the basis sets used by Siesta. You can read more about
basis sets and the inner workings of Siesta in many of these cool tutorials:

http://departments.icmab.es/leem/siesta/Documentation/Tutorials/index.html

Regarding Ge. It can be tricky to accurately describe the band structure of
Ge within the pseudopotential method. Here is a recent paper that briefly
discusses this issue:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0927025614007940

As far as I understand, you can get their optimized Ge pseudo from the
supplemental material and then you can try to use the default DZP or their
optimized basis set from Table 2.

Also, there is no such thing as a universal "good" basis set. The default
DZP might be fine for many observables but may be insufficient for others.
I recommend picking an observable you are interested in and checking the
convergence or the sensitivity of the results as you increase the quality
of the basis set.

Sincerely,
Marton Voros

--
Materials Science Division
Argonne National Laboratory

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 6:04 AM, Francesco Macheda <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm new user of SIESTA code. I have simulated Germanium bulk with other
> codes (namely QE and CRYSTAL14) and i wanted to compare with SIESTA
> results. As I'm a very beginner, I don't exactly know how to translate
> CRYSTAL14 (or GAUSSIAN94) basis sets to SIESTA. If someone have hints,
> please tell me. Anyway, it would suffice at least to have a Ge basis set,
> which I didn't find in SIESTA database. If someone has a good Ge basis set,
> I'd really appreciate the sharing.
>
> Thank for attention,
> Francesco Macheda
> Graduand at Pisa University
>

Responder a