I finally found out what the problem was with this. It seems that the
Windows driver for the CH340/CH341 USB to serial adapter on the
arduino clone that I was using is faulty. When I tried an 'official'
arduino with an FTDI adapter, I had no problems at all. Thanks to Uwe
and Martin Ling for helping me out with tips about the driver.

I think it's worth mentioning that these clone arduinos with the CH340
adapter do actually work fine for most other purposes, so it could be
partially an issue within libserialport that causes the problem.

fwiw the default driver loaded by Windows7 is shown in the attached
screenshot. There is also a newer version out there (updated in 2011)
which can be found by searching the net for "ch340 driver", but that
gave the same result.