Thanks Paul, that cleared it up a lot.

Also had some warnings about python but I assume for now that it's okay to
ignore that. This bit was left when I ran autogen.sh:

Makefile.am: installing './INSTALL'
Makefile.am:48: error: Libtool library used but 'LIBTOOL' is undefined
Makefile.am:48:   The usual way to define 'LIBTOOL' is to add 'LT_INIT'

So I thought, lets see if there's a libtool package I can install, And voila!
No more errors on autogen.

Then I ran configure and saw this:
configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.32.0 libzip >= 0.10) were
not met:

No package 'glib-2.0' found
No package 'libzip' found

I tried installing glib-2.0 which worked (saw loads of packages being
installed).
Strange thing is, after this when I rerun configure it still comes back with
the same error (not finding glib-2.0/libzip). Because I am using 'sudo apt
install' I don't think I need to set the environment variable, do I?

I feel we're almost there. If someone could help me with this last stretch...

Thanks so much, Marc