alex posted a new comment:
Thanks so much I used the following

--- integer = int(x/y) # cuts the decimals

--- if exists(some_image, 0):

--- i still want to look into observe for something later

for some reason I tested it and using region takes longer for the
program to search than just setROI so i stuck with setROI but am being
careful

---  not sure why but type(Key.ALT) works for me, at least for what I'm
using sikuli for. typing alt just at the desktop does nothing but it
does something with the program that I use sikuli to pilot.

since this I have moved on and will be posting another problem regarding
global functions and importing