RaiMan proposed the following answer:
--- integration of other OCR engine ...
... is only possible if you step down to the native code source level, since
the interface to the used Tesseract 2 features is not isolated absolutely, so
you would have to make changes and adaptions in some different areas. But the
main functions towards the Java API are in the Java class TextRecognizer.

--- to just check the possibilities of other OCR engines ...
... use a combination of ImageMagick (to prepare a screenshot for optimal OCR)
and give this image to the OCR system. This is a 2-step workflow, that can be
done on command line.
>From Sikuli just to test the possibilities it is the fastest way, to use the
>IDE with some Python scripting, where you could call the OCR-step using
>os.popen(). I have done this once with ImageMagick and Tesseract 3.

If you do it in Java, there might be the possibility, to use
BufferedImages, so you would not have to use concrete files (which slows
down the process somehow).

If these tests are somehow satisfying, then you could decide how to
proceed.