I need to determine whether a region has one (background) color or another --
an active button vs. a disabled button.  I can narrow the search to the
button's general region, so there aren't any other possible buttons to find.
If I set the similarity too low, Sikuli finds both types of button.  If I set
it too high, it doesn't find either… and the line between the two doesn't seem
to be stable.  Sometimes it will work, sometimes not.

I see the below two questions, in which you suggest doing a second check just
for the color of the found region/image.  Is this still the best thing to do?
If so, is it possible in Python?  I don't see much in the API in the way of
color.

There are other similar, but more complex, cases in which I need to determine
the color of some (foreground) text -- that would be good enough even if I
can't (currently) OCR it (it's also quite small).  Sikuli also seems to have
trouble matching images of the colored text -- again, it can't tell the colors
apart.  It seems like maybe the background color is dominating the comparison.

(… which makes me wonder if it's possible to use transparent colors to tell
Sikuli to ignore those pixels / parts of the image?)

Tangentially, is it possible in Python or Java to get direct access to the
OpenCV that Sikuli is using?

is an answer contact for Sikuli.