Finn Ellis posted a new comment:
If it's all right with you, as I learn more things about this I'm going
to continue putting them here, as an aid to future searchers -- if you'd
rather that go elsewhere, please let me know. :)

One caveat of this approach is that it appears to support screen-reading
operations but not screen-writing; so mouse movement and image finding
work, but highlighting fails and hangs. (I suspect that the built-in
image-capturing mechanism might also fail, because it shades the screen
to indicate the capture area, but I haven't had reason to test it.)

is an answer contact for Sikuli.