Mark McGuinn gave more information on the question:
I have been experimenting with this and despite using the IDE tool  to
define a region I am getting the following in the error messages:

error] Region: observe: Nothing to observe (Region might be invalid):
R[541,309 597x407]@S(0)

This is the code I am currently using, am I doing something wrong with
the way I am calling this function?

modelarea = Region(541,309,597,407)

# while not (findWord(modelname) or findWord("ANY")):
print modelname

def changed(event):
    print("Found It")
    modelarea.stopobserver()

modelarea.observe(10)

modelarea.onAppear(  "1575203969807.png",changed)

for step in range(5):
    click(Pattern("1575203845288.png").targetOffset(250,123))

is an answer contact for Sikuli.