RaiMan proposed the following answer:
@TestMechanic
Thanks for this helpful information.

I will add a chapter to the docs based on your "multiplatform-images"
experience.

This will the be the place, to talk about other possibilities and future
enhancements.

--- YOU SAY:
... you may need to scroll down to see some element visible on higher
resolution.
IMHO this must read "... on lower resolution"

--- your item 2. (image sets)
I think this can easier be achieved by creating set1.sikuli, set2.sikuli, ...,
setN.sikuli using the SikuliX IDE, which all have the same set of images like
    button_Save = button_save.png
    button_Cancel = button_cancel.png

... using the handy feature of the IDE:
writing on a line:
imageFooBar =
... and capturing the image leaving the cursor on the line after the =
... and the image will be auto-named imageFooBar.png

At runtime you can switch the image sets based on environment just using
addImagePath(".../setN.sikuli")
... and you will use the appropriate image when using sthg. like
"imageFooBar.png".

--- Another aspect is resize:
If you know the standard factor with that the images are evenly resized in the
target  environment, you can use the Settings.AlwaysResize = factor feature and
before applying an image it will be resized accordingly.
Individual resize factors for images can be applied using the Pattern class.

is an answer contact for Sikuli.