This is all in the past, I lead a much saner life now, but if you need
the statistics, I can oblige.

On 12/27/06, Abhishek Hazra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> this means 2 months at a stretch without ever seeing a Sunday, working
> 16 hours straight every day that's fine.

in your 16 hour schedule, how many hours of sleep goes into the
remaining 8 hours?

Usually about 5-6 hours

and when *not* into this 16 hour schedule, what is
your normal daily sleep time?

6-8 hours

how many days can you remain above
average productive with say, 2 hours of sleep daily?

About 3-4 days, but in this period of 16 hour days with no holidays
work period I rarely had a 2 hour sleep period, with adequate
planning, I found that I could grab a 4-5 hour nap even on the really
bad days.

It was almost a rule that I never worked beyond 24 hours without a 2 hour nap.

also, were you working from home, when you were doing the 16 hour
spell? (that would mean zero commuting time.)

Commute was about 20 minutes each way, I was in grad school so folks
usually left me alone. I didn't have to attend meetings I really
didn't have to, unless there was free pizza.

also what would be the food? and how much (even if a minimal  amount)
would be spent cooking it?

I used to know this down to the second, but I remember it was less
than 15 minutes. My diet was restricted to ramen and pasta on most
days. The routine was to get up and get the pot with the veggies
boiling before brushing my teeth, and I usually dropped in the ramen
and seasoning before hitting the shower. In all I used to be able to
leave home with lunch and dinner packed within 30 minutes of waking.
Thank goodness for frozen veggies, packed potato chips and ramen, I'd
never have survived otherwise. I admit it was a bit like being in the
army in more ways than one, but the benefit was that with an unvarying
routine I didn't have to think much. I knew I always took 165 seconds
in the shower or some such. I had to, or the ramen would boil over. My
schedule was naturally timed to coincide with the bus timings, so on a
good day I would reach the bus-stop the same time as the bus. On the
days the bus let me down, I would begin jogging to school, it was
important to be reasonably true to the clock, it wasn't more than a
mile anyway.

Being a poor grad student helped, but eating out also took too much
time, and was a needless decision. Knowing the choice was always ramen
and ramen made life simple, likewise with the attire. It was always a
pair of jeans and t-shirt, with a jacket for the cold days.

Thankfully all of this was only for one semester, I had things well
under control and could relax thereafter.

i always aspire to such 16 hour shifts but always fall horribly short :-(

The human body is remarkable that way, I never needed an alarm to get
up. I would be asleep within seconds of lying down, and I would wake
up fully alert in roughly a little less than 6 hours just a little
before the alarm clock would ring.

I understood the phrase 'waking up like a soldier' back then, you wake
up with a jolt, and the body is fully active, there is no groggy
awakening.

Cheeni