That was SUCH a good description of Rothko's work Danese.

Deepa.

On 4/24/07, Danese Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
$46 million is a ridiculous amount of money for a painting (any
painting) but I'd hardly characterize a Rothko as "stripes" of
color.  The depth and texture Rothko's methods achieved are much more
compelling than can be communicated by a reductionist description (or
even a print or photo of the painting).  You really have to see them
in person, and see them up close and properly hung to get the whole
effect.  They are calming, soothing and sometimes deeply moving.
They are interesting to experience from different perspectives;
because most are quite large, you can surround your field of vision
with color standing close and then stepping away the separation of
different color fields resolves in your eye.  Such a simple thing
(paint on canvas) but carried off so beautifully.  Impossible to
cheaply copy (because of the surface texture and something about the
layering of color that achieves the end result).  You can actually
see that it took some time to make each one.  Again as architect
Christopher Alexander coined the term, which Bill Joy later taught to
me, there is a quality with no name that is deeply pleasing and that
makes you sigh when you recognize it.  Rothko was channeling that
quality in paint and canvas, IMHO.

Danese