> 2. google intentionally gathers more data cutting across more domains for
> more people across the world than perhaps any other single organisation,
> making it a uniquely concentrated potential point of failure for privacy,
> whether through security problems (or more to the point) government
> demands. as someone noted, all companies (have to) have procedures for
> dealing with government data requests, so one should worry about those

I agree with Rishab, and I will add another reason why Google is of
particular concern.

I have extensive experience in responding to subpoenas from government
authorities. In my experience, the biggest problem (with large fishing
expeditions in particular) is actually finding and gathering and
organizing the information requested in a subpoena – it’s harder than you
think in a global corporation. There’s so much information, some of it may
or may not be responsive to the subpoena, but may be privileged, or not be
privileged, the interaction with local laws is complex and so on (what if
responding to a US subpoena means breaching EU data protection laws? Do
you go for the rock or the hard place?).

Some issues just have to be dealt with, but a company with a mission with
“to organize the world’s information” is going to find it WAY easier to
respond to such subpoenas than your average Global MegaCorp Ltd (or even a
Microsoft or Yahoo).

That is, Google doesn’t just have the most information, it also has it in
the easiest, most accessible form.