> This is vaguely reminiscent of "Guilty until proven innocent"
>
> I patent something that already exists and get away with it, and start
> earning
> money on my patent from people who don't know it exists. Eventually
> someone
> comes along who disputes the patent. He then has to appeal to the same
> overworked patent office that issued the patent to overturn it - and the
> burden of proof is on him.
>
> So the combination of a quick thinking patenter and an overworked office
> can
> lead to a system that is absurd.
>
> shiv

I'd argue that the process for invalidating a patent, while perhaps costly
(At the very least in time)[1], is a far easier burden to sustain than
proving innocence after a presupposition of guilt.  Sometimes it can be
challenging past the application phase, but I see patents routinely declared
invalid on a daily basis.

Clear and convincing evidence is not proof beyond a reasonable doubt ;)

THe patent system needs reform, no doubt.  But let's put it into perspective
here: To take your guilty before proven innocent criminal example a little
father, it's equivalent to throwing out a perfectly workable system that
happens to have some failings just because some (but by no means most, or
even a great many) innocent individuals get thrown in the slammer.[2]

[1] http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=688005

[2] Prof. Mark Lemley, who is one of the most ardent supporters of US patent
reform in particular, even acknowledges this much:

"The problem, then, is
not that the Patent Office issues a large number of bad
patents. Rather, it is that the Patent Office issues a small but
worrisome number of economically significant bad patents
and those patents enjoy a strong, but undeserved, presumption
of validity."

http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/regv28n4/v28n4-noted.pdf