Eugen Leitl wrote:
On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 09:39:17PM +0530, Venkat Mangudi wrote:

Is it really that good? I wouldn't mind trying it out. How does it
compare to Ubuntu as a desktop OS?

Very, very badly.

Hi ...

Well, sure it's not as good as Ubuntu as a desktop OS. It's not a desktop OS yet. Remember, OpenSolaris is source code. There are a few distros, but there is no single OpenSolaris-branded reference binary based on 100% of the open code, and Indiana will not solve that problem initially. In the meantime, you can use Solaris Express, which is Sun's binary based on the OpenSolaris source /plus/ the closed bits we can't open or haven't opened yet. All the distros are linked here http://www.opensolaris.org/os/downloads/ and BeleniX is the best.

As far as comparing to Ubuntu as a desktop, I'd say make that evaluation in a year. Solaris was an enterprise OS for the super technical that we opened and are moving to the desktop for everyone. Even people like me! Indiana will help, but there have been engineering projects underway to address some of these issues (install, package management, etc) for a while now. In fact, the first iteration of Dave Miner's new install went in this week, and there will be many more updates as the installer is re-written: http://blogs.sun.com/dminer/entry/try_out_the_dwarf_caiman. And if you want to see what we have planned for packaging, check out Stephen Hahn: http://blogs.sun.com/sch/entry/pkg_no_more_installer_magic http://blogs.sun.com/sch/entry/observations_on_packaging

And by the way, I use Solaris, Windows, and Linux and I'm perfectly fine with all three. I run Ubuntu on one of my laptops at home, and it's quite lovely. We're getting there ... slowly but surely. And, yes, it's been slow ... :)

Jim
--
http://blogs.sun.com/jimgris