[Hey Eugen, does Guggenmusik extend to Munich?]

First time I heard of it. It's mostly limited to the
south-west, according to http://guggemap.speedyweb.at/api_v2/ index.php?action=map

My best guess is that this geography represents a restriction, at least among german speakers (who seem to be much better represented on guggemap), to the allemannic dialect regions.

(with the borders remaining fairly conservative over nearly a millenium)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Alamannien_Hochburgund_ca_1000.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Alemannisch.png

Interestingly, the guggemap distribution for .de, in both northern (well into frankish dialect) and eastern extents (restricted to B-W, only a few outliers in Bayern?), could also be approximated by the borders of the Germania Superior of Roman times.

http://www.antikefan.de/Staetten/Deutschland/limes/bild1.html

But that probably just reflects some underlying geography which has driven the cultural and political borders, both in I and in XXI.

-Dave

(in comparing the following constructions:
http://www.antikefan.de/Staetten/Deutschland/limes/lorch/limesturm.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flak_tower
one may note both the technical and the moral progress of humanity over nearly two millennia...)