John Naisbitt wrote in "Megatrends" (1982): "The gee-whiz futurists are
always wrong because they believe technological innovation travels in a
straight line. It doesn't. It weaves and bobs and lurches and sputters".

Scott Adams in "The Dilbert Future" (1997): "Luckily for me, most of my
predicitions are long term, so I'll be taking a dirt nap long before
anyone notices the quality of my work".

More briefly Niels Bohr: "Prediction is very difficult, especially about
the future".

> ... provided the basic input is accurate ...

When "the input is accurate" common sense can often be enough for a
"reasonable" forecast of the "output".  And it can work better than
complex "unscrutable" elaboration, in which even a small "not very
accurate" detail can fubar the whole process.

What's happened to the concept that was well known in the early days of
computing?  "Shit in, shit out". (Or maybe "garbage" if we want a more
"polite" version).

Cheers

Giancarlo