http://in.reuters.com/article/topNews/idINIndia-30854320071206?pageNumber=3&virtualBrandChannel=0&sp=true

Lights turn red for stunned Delhi jaywalkers
Thu Dec 6, 2007 2:10pm IST

By Jonathan Allen

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Pedestrians don't cross the Indian capital's
chaotic streets so much as dash across as if their life depends on it,
which it very often does.

More than 900 pedestrians a year fail to make it to the other side,
killed by the city's lawless drivers. So police decided on Wednesday
it was time to start enforcing a 27-year-old rule against jaywalking.

The result was puzzlement and sometimes anger from people for whom
dicing with traffic death is a fact of Indian urban life.

At six busy New Delhi intersections on Thursday, police officers
grabbed jaywalkers by the arm, issued them tickets, and made them pay
20-rupee fines before explaining the idea of waiting patiently for the
lights to change.

"We have to run, the lights don't turn green long enough for us to
cross," said D.K. Bhargav, an angry, 57-year-old office worker,
fearlessly confronting an officer with his complaint.

"And in other places there's no crossing at all."

"Speak to the government and say, 'Kindly build us a crossing,'" was
the policeman's advice.

In the city's Connaught Place commercial district, a troop of men in
woolly jumpers, smart shoes and trousers were hastily painting a new
zebra crossing.

Then police reinforcements arrived and, for the first time that anyone
could remember, made about 50 pedestrians line up and wait patiently
on either side of the road while traffic rushed by, smearing the
still-drying paint.

People giggled self-consciously, smiling at those on the opposite
curb. During a pause in the traffic someone tried to break ranks and
dash across, but a whistle-blowing policeman intercepted him, making
everyone laugh.

"How would a villager know about these lights? There are no traffic
lights in their villages," said Constable Suresh Sharma, who thought
that the widespread rule-breaking was partly due to Delhi's large
population of rural migrants.

"Our aim is not to prosecute people, our aim is to educate them,"
police spokesman Rajan Bhagat explained by telephone.

But not everyone who was fined took away the correct message.

"Next time I'll be watchful," said Vasant Pant, a 20-year-old courier
late making his deliveries. "I'll look to see if there's a traffic
policeman before crossing."

Some offenders, like Sachin Chaudry, a young, late-running bank
executive, quickly handed over their fine and their details without
even interrupting their cellphone calls.

Others were more evasive.

"I don't have the money," pleaded Ankita Khurana, a nervous-looking
18-year-old student.

"Then you'll have to go to jail," the policeman replied. She suddenly
remembered she had change in her bag.

But another jaywalker -- a scrawny man in unwashed clothes -- seemed
to be telling the truth.

"This is all I have," he pleaded, holding out five rupees.

The enraged policeman took this as an insult, waving a finger in his
face before pushing him back the way he came.

"Next time don't cross without a green light," he snarled.

(Additional reporting by Onkar Pandey)