On 12/12/07, ashok _ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have the following scenario, with no clear answer :
>
> Lets say a Govt. department in Country-X purchases online services
> from an American company (for e.g. Web hosting...).
>
> Country-X subsequently, for various reasons, falls under a US govt.
> black-list (for e.g. economic sanctions...).
>
> Will the American company providing the online services be obligated
> to shut down services immediately ?
>
> Any ideas / pointers ?

As a US-based lawyer who sometimes deals in related questions, the answer is
... it depends. :)

The applicable rules vary from country to country (although some of the
rules may end up being the same), and they are available here:

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/

The extent of economic sanctions varies from country to country, and there
are numerous exemptions that may or may not apply. (In general, I'm guessing
the exemptions would be less likely to apply to government agencies in the
embargoed country.)

And, of course, negative publicity may end up being more of a motivating
factor for the US company than any legal requirements.

Dave, with the typical lawyer disclaimer that this e-mail is informational
and nothing in this e-mail should be construed as legal advice, etc., etc.