On 4/8/08, Ramjee Swaminathan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Seriously, if pa feels that it is important enough to be part of such
>  tamaashas, there is nothing wrong in the kid following in the
>  footsteps of pa? On the contrary, assuming that he had gone to some
>  museum or library or had some fun with math or juggling or painting or
>  whatever, along with the kid - may be the kid would have asked for
>  something more of this? Am just wondering.8-)
>
>  All in all, I think I would like to box the ears of all such offending
>  parents (including that of my children) and give them a slap or two
>  and ask them to look at themselves.

Completely agree with this! I grew up with minimal toys not even the
token robot or a barbie. But I make my own doll house with old school
notebook covers and remained happy by scrawling all over the walls and
important documents with my crayons :) Of course, it did help that
other kids had cool stuff to play with, but I never thought of owning
them myself - except for the origami stuff tht one of the kids had.

I think it has more to do with my parents who taught me to read books
as a hobby, collect stamps, draw and paint rather than play with
expensive toys.

Regards,
Divya