Charles,

> ... a distinction between bi-lingual and bi-cultural.
> ... people who speak two languages but only identify
> with a single culture, versus people who speak two
> languages and identify with two cultures.

I don't want to clutter the list... but I think this is a relevant point.

"Bi-lingualism", per se, helps even when it seems that it isn't "bi-culturalism". The sheer fact of using different languages widens perspective, even if people aren't aware of it, or it isn't immediately obvious in their "cultural attitudes".

But yes, "bi-cultural" is something else. People can be "multi-cultural" even when they don't understand that many languages.

For instance: I don't understand more than a few dozen words in German, but a relevant part of my education (and culture) is based on German writers. And that can be said of several other languages - non only in Europe.

Cheers,

Giancarlo