On 7/20/09 7:07 PM, "Deepa Mohan" <mohande...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We also have the culture of "kill-the-messenger"...the person who proves you
> an idiot is, in a reflex reaction, "proved" to be an idiot hesself, and
> hence, incapable of passing judgement on us or our work. The
> not-so-good-friend who says pleasant things (or even damns with faint
> praise) gets away with it, and is, indeed, appreciated for hes
> "compliments".
>
> Each of us prides ourselves on, and is vain about, something..intelligence,
> looks, breeding, wealth, connections, power...and it's difficult to take
> when one is exposed as a fool.

I have had "narrow escapes" of being called an "ass" and "pride" myself for
not being called out yet - in mailing lists at least! (and hopefully won't
be with this post). I do smirk when I see an idiotic post or people making,
ahem, cardinal sins of email etiquettes. Mostly because, this soothes my ego
that I may not be the most successful person among my peers/acquaintances,
but at least I am not as bad as THAT guy. Which means, even though my life
might be miserable, there is someone whose life is worse!

And I also think, we are all caught out as "idiots" very early in life -
that experience probably still rankles most people and hence  they don't
want to go through that again.

- divya

--
I blog at http://nimbupani.com/blog