On 3/2/10 9:24 AM, "Thaths" <tha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Before you write off photojournalists as manipulators out just tug at
> your heartstrings with a hidden agenda, you should read about what
> happened to the photographer who took the iconic photograph of that
> starving child with a hovering vulture nearby.
>
> http://www.mukto-mona.com/Articles/kevin_carter/sudan_child.htm

Sorry, to be clear, the suicide note includes other things too:

"depressed . . . without phone . . . money for rent . . . money for child
support . . . money for debts . . . money!!! . . . I am haunted by the vivid
memories of killings & corpses & anger & pain . . . of starving or wounded
children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners . .
. " And then this: "I have gone to join Ken if I am that lucky."

But you have triggered me to think about my pet topic of "The Danger of a
Story" [1][2].

[1] http://blog.ted.com/2009/10/the_danger_of_a.php
[2] http://tedxmidatlantic.com/live/#TylerCowen