So I have some 1,500 or so CDs and I'd like to digitize them and a
reasonably high bit rate.

Not all at a go - but to keep doing a handful now and then.

Is there some sort of device with a hard drive and a CD player/ ripper where
I can simply play from the drive when needed (with remote, 5.1 out etc) and
on occasion slip a CD or a few dozen in and rip it fast - where some access
to Gracenotes or such ensures titles / song data is input automatically?
It'll be nice to have a drive in the TB range so DVDs can be digitized too
on the same system and accessible centrally in every room of the house etc.

One obvious answer might be to dedicate a laptop/computer to this and use
iTunes etc -  but it seems an inelegant solution - not enough ripping speed
and perhaps not enough HDD space plus I really don't care for a locked Apple
solutions like iTunes plus I am not sure it produces high quality sound - I
do have a reasonably good set of amp, speakers and TV

Any suggestions?

Regards

Mahesh