At 2011-05-16 00:56:49 +0000, sur...@hserus.net wrote:

> You'll find that power cuts are a regular feature in industrial areas
> around india, most companies compensate by buying diesel generators

(I happen to be doing some work in this area, so…)

Another thing that smallish industrial units (including several textile
mills in Tamil Nadu) are doing is bidding for electricity on the Indian
Energy Exchange (iexindia.com). That way, they can hedge their bets: if
the market clearing price for power is lower than the cost of running a
diesel generator, they save money. If they have to run the generator,
then in principle, they can even sell any surplus power they generate
during that period. The minimum volume is 1MW, but in practice, some
people buy even less and nobody objects.

Aside: "exchange" power was very expensive in Tamil Nadu in the run-up
to the elections (4-5x the prices elsewhere in the country).

-- ams