On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Udhay Shankar N <ud...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Fascinating. Will the next ruling ban inductive logic as well?
>
> Udhay
>

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/oct/02/formula-justice-bayes-theorem-miscarriage
>
> A formula for justice

The judgment's logic is highly malleable. I don't think it means the death
of Bayesian logic. If the underlying factors for a problem are based on firm
data (what appears to have been decisive here is that shoe sale data in
relation to each and every pair is imprecise since it isn't otherwise
calculated or estimated). So if either through the use of data or through
mathematical logic it can be established in another case that a higher level
of precision is possible, then I don't think the court will come in the way
of the use of such a method. I don't think this judgment is a criticism of
Bayesian techniques - rather it's a reinforcement of the reasonable doubt
standard. If there is reasonable doubt, the court must acquit. And if the
mathematical formula that determines the likelihood of a crime based on
circumstantial evidence is inherently based on imprecise data, then the
mathematical formula does not obviate reasonable doubt and can't be reliably
employed.

Regards,
Nikhil Mehra

Advocate, Supreme Court of India