On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Deepa Mohan <mohande...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But, Cheeni, you criticise Shiv for terming  it "dharma vs adharma"....but
> when you call it a "silent killer of the night" (I remembered Bhopal when I
> read that)...you too, take a judgemental stance.

It is a silent killer because it killed the old ways; that doesn't
imply moral judgement - assassins of the night can be for the good
too. It's merely an observation.

What's clear is that the old ways had flaws, but I am worried if we
have not thrown out the baby with the bath water. I don't know, I'm
rather agnostic on this issue.

The new way of the individual is new to humanity - it's never been
attempted at this scale heretofore. Barring the mendicants and
eccentrics, the way of society has almost always revolved around the
family and the tribe.

Affluence is definitely a prime culprit - during the zenith of the
Imperium Romanum there was a similar crisis when free Romans didn't
want to marry, because it was a drag, orgies were much fun. Roman
society had to introduce a variety of incentives to promote marriage
and the family. The tax benefits handed to married couples in modern
societies comes directly from those times.

Today as a society we have a lot of affluence and freedom, and barring
a few decades of nuclear threat under the cold war the existential
threat to the race isn't something that keeps us up at night. Society
therefore will naturally drift towards more freedom and choice. Of
course all it takes is one nasty decade and the tide will turn.

Exercising freedom needs a lot of discipline and wisdom which isn't
possessed by more than a few.

After the fall of Communism, America - the land of the rugged
individual was questioning the role of the State, but all it took was
a single 9/11 for the State to come rolling into everyone's lives with
intrusive laws and coercive policies at the clamoring invitation of
the people. Now that the shadow of terrorism no longer hovers over the
USA we see a creeping increase in rhetoric that questions the value of
the state.

The same dilemma plays out at the level of the individual and the
family. We love our freedoms, but we are like babies who run back to
the mother at the first hint of trouble.