From: Eugen Leitl
Sender: silklist-bounces+suresh=hserus....@lists.hserus.net
To: silklist@lists.hserus.net
ReplyTo: silklist@lists.hserus.net
Subject: Re: [silk] Why Are American Kids So Spoiled?
Sent: Jun 28, 2012 17:26

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 02:06:20AM -0400, Landon Hurley wrote:

> Corollary to you:
> "I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
> frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
> words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
> respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly
> disrespectful and impatient of restraint"
>
> Hesiod, 8th century BC

Given that he lived towards the end the Greek Dark Age that might
be not a coincidence.

As the history of human cultures is riddled with collapses, at
least some of the laments must be based in fact.

Notice how many of >GenY complain how their lives are unfair, and
they don't do nearly as well as Boomers despite having done
everything "by the book". There goes that interesting "things
must continue to become better monotonously" belief again.
They cite their observation window. They do not read much, apparently.

--
srs (blackberry)